Haywood County Public Health received notice April 5, 2020 that another Haywood County resident has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. The individual is in isolation at their home.
The resident of Haywood County has no out of state travel history. Haywood County Public Health nurses are identifying close contacts of this person. To protect individual privacy, no further information will be released. The CDC defines close contact as being within approximately 6 feet of a person with COVID-19 infection for a prolonged period of time of 10 minutes or longer. Based on information provided by the individuals in close contact, county health officials will assess risks of exposure, determine which if any additional measures are needed such as temperature and symptom checks, quarantine and/or testing.
There are now three cases of COVID-19 identified in Haywood County to date.
“The Haywood County Health Department will aggressively trace, test and contain anyone we identify who was exposed to this virus,” said Haywood County Health Director Patrick Johnson.
Because COVID-19 is most commonly spread through respiratory droplets, North Carolinians should take the same measures that health care providers recommend to prevent the spread of the flu and other viruses, including:
- Practice social distancing. This is the Number One Enemy of COVID-19. To prevent community spread we need everyone to take social distancing seriously!
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and running water for 20 seconds
- Regularly sanitize frequently-touched surfaces
- Avoid touching your face
- Cover coughs and sneezes, preferably with your elbow to avoid transferring germs toyour hands
- Stay home if you are sickIt is important to make sure the information you are getting about COVID-19 is coming directly from reliable sources like the CDC and NCDHHS. For more information, please visit the CDC at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus, NCDHHS at www.ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus, and Haywood County athttps://www.haywoodcountync.gov/684/Coronavirus-Covid-19-Information.
Residents are encouraged to call 828-356-2019 for questions or concerns related to COVID-19.